WELCOME

Hello! I'm Suzannah, a serious DIYer and mom of two little ones. Follow along with my DIY fixer upper house renovations, sewing and crafty projects, real food recipes, and de-stressing goals.
I believe you can love your home just the way it is, AND have the power to design and make big changes to make it better.
I'm also the author of DIY Wardrobe Makeovers!

Recycling a tank into a trendy ikat pillow

I love ikat.  Don't we all?  It is everywhere these days (except JoAnn's... they are a little behind the times).  So without spending oodles on designer ikat fabric to make home dec goodies out of, I did a little upcycling and transformed this $3 clearance tank into a cute pillow for the bed!
First some inspiration.  Madeline Weinrib, anyone?


And Fabricadabra (via MadebyGirl)


So I found this tank on clearance at Marshall's around Christmastime.  It sort of fit, but not really.  So I scrapped it for raw materials!
Here are some pictures on how I (without wasting) cut apart the top to reuse the fabric.
This tank was lined, so I turned it inside out without the lining and investigated.
I ended up being able to reuse the zipper!
I wished I had had enough fabric to make a square pillow, but I didn't (well, it would have been really tiny).
So I made a rectangle, and it goes well on the bed!
Ta-Da!

9 comments

  1. Anonymous2/07/2010

    What a GREAT idea! I would have never thought of doing that to all my old tanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and I'm excited to be a follower! This is a great idea by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I was sad because I liked that tank, but then when I saw the pillow, all remorse fled. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OBSESSED with what you did (and so cheap too?) I got a good chuckle about the Joanns comment, they are about 10 years behind when it comes to fabric patterns...

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this, it looks great! very cute blog by the way, i'm new to it and am a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. brilliant! you've inspired me to rummage through my closet for new home decor ideas... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! I'll have to check my pile of clothes that Plato's Closet didn't want to buy from me...I know there's got to be a gem in there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so agree with Joanns being behind. Is it too much to ask for a simple chevron pattern? They're just lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, totally, right!? Would love to see some chevrons, ikat, or stripes at JoAnn, but maybe in a few years, as the trends begin to fade... ;)

      Delete

Search

© Create / Enjoy • Theme by Maira G.